Tuesday 23 February 2010

I don't want to go to school!

Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

His mother walked into the bedroom and for the fourth time said, now in a strong and persistent voice, "It's time to get up. You have to go to school or you're going to be late".

"I don't want to go to school" the response came. "I don't understand the subjects, all the children hate me as well as the teachers. Give me one good reason why I should go."

His mother replied "Because you're the head teacher dear. They pay you to go!"

Is there something you don't want to do? Not a one off chore but a daily habit or discipline that you need to persevere with. Somethings are not that bad in themselves but consistently keeping going requires stamina and perseverance. I'm a great starter. I get very enthusiastic about the beginning, the vision, the concept and the planning. But once the doing starts, and worst of all requires daily or weekly attention, the excitement starts to wear off.

Paul writes in Romans how perseverance has an effect on our lives. His context was persevering through suffering. Few of us suffer in the way Paul did. Nonetheless the verses in Romans 5:3-5 promise that perseverance produces character in us. That consistent character that can be depended upon. Character that will stay the course, finish the job. Character that will not grow tired in doing the right thing. Character that will be proven and tested. Paul also states that character produces a hope within us. A hope that does not disappoint. Not a whimsical hope but a firm confidence. Because that hope is based on the knowledge of God's love poured out upon us.

As we persevere we experience that same perseverance that God has demonstrated towards the redemption of mankind, the perseverance towards us with our failings and mistakes. This is how He has shown His great love. He never gives up on us. He daily bears with our weakness.

Somedays I don't want to go to work, I don't want to study, I don't want to read the word, I don't want to blog, I don't want to tidy up the house, I don't want to help that person in need, I don't want to tithe. They're all good things that I love but somedays I just want to be lazy or selfish. That's when perseverance has to kick in, character has to be built and hope has to be founded in God's love and eternal promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment