Wednesday 17 March 2010

Ego and Security

Genesis 11:4 Then they said, "Come, let's build a great city for ourselves with a tower that reaches into the sky. This will make us famous and keep us from being scattered all over the world."

The tower of Babel is a curious story. It provides some explanation to the diversity of language and geographical dispersal of the worlds population. In all honesty I struggle with the explanation but accept by faith it's in the Bible to teach me something.

With that in mind it's interesting to see the motivation of the people planning to build this great tower; to "make us famous" and "keep us being scattered". The drivers of ego and security. How often these still drive our decisions today.

We want to be noticed, to get some attention, to be well known and highly thought of. Our pride and our ego fights against accepting God is the only one worthy of fame, glory, honour and praise. We look for security in the people around us, the structures of society, and the power of a united crowd. We strive to make our own security rather than trust ourself fully to God where true security is only found.

I'm looking for ways to make this alive in my everyday activities. To not seek to be getting the glory. To trust myself to His promises. I have more blind spots than I realise and probably make most of my decisions based upon ego and security. But just like Babel, God loves me too much to pander to this. He comes along and confuses the situation intentionally. Until all I can do is trust Him and give Him all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment