Friday 5 March 2010

Nothing just happens

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I recently listened to a preach by Paul Scanlon on the well known scripture Romans 8:28. The theology is not new but the way he put it was new for me. It made me think...

When we look at this scripture what happens if we consider a negative of this. Ask yourself 'how many things that have happened to you was God NOT working for your good?' How many? If God is working all things for my good then surely there are literally absolutely no things that God is not using to work for good.

I know there have been disappointments that turned out for good. The first house my wife and I wanted to buy fell through. God founds us a better one. My career choice of drama at school was not available. This led to my current career. Far more stable and fulfilling. I didn't get a recent promotion. I'm grateful now as I would have hated the job and not been up to it.

But what about the really low parts of my life. My mother passing away. My father emigrating. My worst arguments with my wife. My cat being run over. A deal to build a new church falling through. Bad financial decisions. When my children are really ill. When those close to you hurt you. When you let people down and can't repair the damage. Is God at work in these too?

Our assurance is that God is at work in ALL things. As I heard someone say recently "you've got to have a very big God to make sense of all this". And we have such a big God. His ways are higher. His thoughts deeper. His plan is glorious.

How do we know this? God took the horror of false accusations, vicious beatings, meaningless violence, a brutal and bloody death, all done to the kindest most innocent man who ever lived. He took all that and used this for the salvation and hope of the world, He can certainly use ALL things in my life for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment