Monday 1 March 2010

If it feels good, do it!

Romans 8:4 He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.

Welcome to the SatNav generation. Streets upon streets full of cars with little boxes declaring 'in 300 metres turn right', and 'at the next roundabout take the second exit'. Punch in your destination, stick it to the front screen, switch of your brain's personal sense of direction and do as it says! For someone like me who has very poor sense of direction these are quite handy. My SatNav has shown me many a useful shortcut when in less familiar territory. However, I won't speak of the times it has directed me to drive through rivers or private farms!

Prior to the SatNav was the compass. Still used as a primary instrument at sea. But imagine if everyone's compass had a different North or everyone's SatNav had a different map it was following. There would be chaos. It's a picture of the 'if it feels good, do it' culture. Everyone being led by their own personal compass. I want to do it, I enjoy doing it, I'm going to do it. Is that our personal compass?

But what about the 'right' thing to do? There is a true north that all compasses point towards. I could decide what I think is north but in reality it won't help me get to where I want to or need to go. In our everyday life the Holy Spirit wants to provide a true North for us to follow.

My own desires, directed by what feels good, may want to guide me. But let's face it, its a fake compass. When I follow this compass I have placed my frequent idol, self, in the driving seat and told God 'it's OK. I know best'. But I don't. My personal compass is my sinful nature as Romans describes it. It's broken and guides me exactly to the place I don't want to go. The true compass is the Holy Spirit. He guides me to the best I can be, the best God wants for me, the way God intended it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment