Monday 8 March 2010

Prove it!

John 5:36 But I have a greater witness than John—my teachings and my miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me.

In our post-modern society there is often a lot of talk about truth. What is truth? How can you prove something is true? Just because I say something is true should not prevent you from asserting that the opposite is also true. Truth is relative.

So when it comes to Jesus people often ask how can you prove Jesus is really the son of God? How can you prove God exists? All interesting questions as if it were a maths exam or a science experiment. But its a bit like asking 'how can you prove its wrong to brutalise a child' or 'how can you prove your wife loves you'. Proof is the wrong test. I know its wrong to brutalise a child. I don't know how to prove it. I know my wife loves me. I can see how she demonstrates that love but I can't prove it.

Jesus spoke in John 5 about how He was the son of God. His cultural context was nowhere near post-modern but it had the same demand. 'Prove it!'

Jesus reminds them that John testified to who He was. However He also states that this is not important or necessary as He brought with Himself a greater witness - His teachings and His miracles. The trouble is that so many who reject the witness of Jesus have not truly assessed His teachings or received His miraculous work in their lives.

The only way to see if teaching is true is to give it a go. The only way to experience a miracle is to receive it by faith first. So if we truly want to know that certainty that Jesus is the Son of God, that He is alive and that He is the saviour of our souls we have to read His teachings, put them into practice, ask for His miraculous work in our lives and wait expectantly for Him to work in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment