Friday 15 January 2010

His choice is His love

Ephesians 1:4-5 For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will—

I used to struggle with the doctrine of predestination. I know the worldwide church is not in complete agreement on the matter. I also know that whether you believe in predestination or not isn't core to your salvation. But for me, my faith and understanding of the word of God has only got stronger and clearer since exploring this issue, reading the word, listening to teaching, and settling on a very strong conviction that God chose me long before I ever chose Him.

Whatever your view on this subject we can't escape this verse in Ephesians. Whether you accept that God predestined us for salvation or explain this away with a view of God's advanced foreknowledge that we would in fact choose Him this is not the point. The issue is that 'in love' He predestined us.

Because everything God does is 'in love'. It is His very nature. This gives us a confidence even when we can't as yet make sense of God's actions. I rejoice that God chose me. But I lament He hasn't chosen others. Matthew 11:25-27 shows Jesus praising God for hiding the gospel from some. I can't say it makes sense to me yet.

Romans 9:13 shows us another choice of God's. His love of Jacob and rejection of Esau. In all honesty Paul doesn't give a great explanation of why God chooses. His main defence is God is the potter and we are the clay. He gets to choose. But our confidence is not in God's almighty power and right to choose. But our confidence is that 'in love' He makes these choices.

His choice is His love. Even if we don't like or understand God's actions. We can be sure both His motives and the outcome are an expression of His love. He works everything together according to the counsel of His will. The same will that purposed Christ to die on a cross. A choice that made little sense to His followers at the time. But His choice to die was in love. His love for you and me.

On YouVersion

No comments:

Post a Comment