Friday 15 January 2010

What do the words really mean?

Matthew 12:7 If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice', you would not have condemned the innocent.

Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Matt Redman says in one of his songs "I have heard so many songs, listened to a thousand tongues". We have all probably heard so many sermons, read so many verses. But the question is do we really get what was meant by the words in the Bible. We can remember and recite as many verses of the Bible as our brains can manage but that wont help us if we fail to understand what it really means. Do we need get ourselves in the Bible more, or more of the Bible in us?

Jesus spoke to the Pharisees in Matthew and told them if they really understood the words of Hosea they would not be condemning the innocent. Their sacrifices may well have been there to pay the penalty of their sins, to give them right standing again with God. But that did not place them in the position of judge for others, to condemn the innocent. They failed to see that God's heart was based upon forgiveness, mercy, grace, long-suffering. Instead they took their self righteous position of judge, jury and executioner.

What about me? Do I really understand the verse in Hosea 6:6? When I fail I want to 'pay God back' to somehow earn his love. But His desire is mercy. He puts relationship above repaying. I couldn't repay God if I tried! When others fail me or let me down, do I expect them to repay me, or do I show the same mercy that I have received in abundance. Do I condemn the innocent? Maybe I should try letting God be the judge, or the mercy giver!

No comments:

Post a Comment