Sunday 31 January 2010

Who turned the light off?

105 Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
106 I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise it again: I will obey your righteous regulations.
107 I have suffered much, O Lord; restore my life again as you promised.
108 Lord, accept my offering of praise, and teach me your regulations.
109 My life constantly hangs in the balance, but I will not stop obeying your instructions.
110 The wicked have set their traps for me, but I will not turn from your commandments.
111 Your laws are my treasure; they are my heart’s delight.
112 I am determined to keep your decrees to the very end.

When life gets really busy, I miss out on quality time with my family and especially my wife. It's not a contract that we must spend at least an hour of quality time each day with each other. It's a relationship. When it doesn't happen it's often for good reasons. We both understand why. It's not a guilt trip. But we both miss that time. We both long to get back to a routine where we get that regular time together. If we see life slipping into a pace where we don't get that quality time for a series of days we know the balance is lost and we need to get back to a right pace of life.

I try to read the word of God every day. It's not legalistic. I don't feel guilty if it doesn't happen. But in the same way I do miss it. That same warning bell goes in my head that says "need to get some time back in the day for the word of God". This week has been one of those!

The Psalmist said "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." When I miss out on the time for God's word, the lamp isn't guiding me and the pathway looks a little dimmer. When this was written the Psalmist must have been in great personal danger. "My life constantly hangs in the balance" he would say, and "the wicked have set traps for me". I cant say I experience it as severely as that. But I have my own pressures, struggles and hinderences.

Looking at Psalm 119:105-112 I wrote my own paraphrase that fits my life well:
The Bible guides my choices and shows me how to live. God, Your way is the right way and I'm committed to follow it. Yes I've suffered, but you've promised to keep me safe. So, I'm going to continue praising you. Teach me more of You. Life has its dangers, but I wont forget your word. Some have it in for me, but they wont sway me from doing things your way. Your words are mine forever, they're my greatest treasure. My commitment is to stick with your plan

No comments:

Post a Comment