Thursday 28 January 2010

I do this because I love you

John 11:5-6 (NKJV) Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was.

I always remember my mum and dad telling me "we only tell you off because we love you". Whenever they did things I didn't like that were apparently for 'my good' they would roll this line out. When I couldn't have the sweets I wanted, when I received some punishment for being naughty, when I couldn't go and play on the motor bike that other kids were (I was only 9!), the response was "it's only because we love you". As a child it wore thin. But I know it wasn't just a line. It was a reality. To give way on these things simply wasn't the way of showing love. To say 'no' many times was the best way to show love. Maybe you have to become a parent to fully understand most of things your parents did.

The story in John tells us that Jesus loved Martha, Mary and Lazarus. It also explains that it was because He loved them that He didn't rush to see Lazarus when he was sick and dying. Some translations wrongly use the 'but' word. Jesus loved Lazarus, but, he stayed where he was for two days. In any conventional understanding it would make sense. The NLT says 'although Jesus loved Lazarus he stayed' like we was doing something wrong. However, as shown by my parents, doing what would seem at first detrimental is sometimes the best way to show love.

It was because Jesus loved Mary, Martha and Lazarus so much that He waited to return to them. He knew that the delay would mean He would arrive well after Lazarus's death. Had He arrived in time He could have healed him. Had He arrived soon after Lazarus death many would have said "he wasn't really dead, just very ill, or sleeping". By Jesus waiting two extra days He made sure He arrived when Lazarus was well and truly dead.

Yes, Mary and Martha would have gone through some pain in mourning. But what joy they would have gone through in seeing the resurrection. How greater was their trust in Jesus through this event. How more indisputable was their testimony with Lazarus being dead so long. What greater opportunity would this have given all three to testify to God's greatness.

When Jesus' way seems strange to you. When the timing is off. When you go through pain before great joy. Realise it's because He loves you that He does this. It's not "Jesus loves me, but, He did this." It's really "Jesus loves me, so, He did this."

No comments:

Post a Comment