Friday 22 January 2010

I could never make a difference!

Matthew 14:19-21 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Matthew 15:35-38 He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. The number of those who ate was four thousand, besides women and children.

How often do I see an impossible challenge which I can do nothing about. The scale of the problem seems so big that its overwhelming. I know a miracle is the only thing can change the situation and hope and pray for God's amazing power to be shown. In fact it can be a very passive waiting for God. As if He will pluck out of thin air the resources and solutions to this huge challenge with no effort on my part. Of course He can do this, but so often works in a different way.

I tell myself that I can do nothing about the situation but in reality what I mean is the little I could do would make little difference. Since I can't do enough I won't do anything. God's challenge to us is to bring what we have, no matter how small, and play our part.

Matthew contains two different accounts of multitudes being fed from a very small amount of bread and fish. We often think of this as a single instance but it would appear this may have been a more regular occurrence. The great thing about seeing at least two examples is we can see a common thread in both accounts.

Firstly, the resources available for the problem were vastly insufficient but Jesus still wanted to use these. Secondly, Jesus gave thanks for what was available. Thirdly, the multiplication happened in the disciples hands as they started to use the resources available. Fourthly, God provided more than enough than was ever needed. (My wife would remind me that lastly the disciples tidied up the mess afterwards but I'm not convinced there is a spiritual principle here!)

So when I see the challenge of a project with insufficient funding, a harvest field with insufficient workers, broken community with inadequate expertise for the complex issues, it's best I remember these principles.

Give and use what little I have.
Thank God for these resources no matter how insignificant.
Start doing the work and let God do the multiplication.
Watch and see God's abundance at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment